Part-Time Harm Reduction Specialist: Martha’s Vineyard Office
The primary purpose of the Part-Time Harm Reduction Specialist job is to support the health of clients engaged in behaviors that pose potential health risks, such as drug and alcohol use, sexual practices, and self-injury. To improve clients’ health, the Harm Reduction Specialist uses the harm reduction approach by meeting clients “where they are at” and providing them with non-judgmental, non-coercive services, including sexual health and overdose prevention education, syringe access and disposal, risk reduction counseling, and referrals for support.
The Harm Reduction Specialist’s primary duties and responsibilities are:
- Direct Services: Provide direct services using the harm reduction approach to clients on Martha’s Vineyard, including:
- Harm reduction education
- Opioid overdose education and NARCAN training
- Syringe access and disposal, including community retrieval of syringes
- Risk reduction counseling
- Referrals to health care, behavioral health care, recovery resources, social services, etc.
- Community Outreach: Perform outreach activities on Martha’s Vineyard; including posting and handing out agency fliers in the communities served and inform the community of services available.
- Build Relationships: Ensure effective delivery of services by building trusting, professional relationships with clients, co-workers, and external service providers on Martha’s Vineyard and Cape Cod. Along with Program Manager, represents ASGCC at meetings with local partners.
- Data Collection and Reporting: Collect data for ASGCC’s Prevention and Screening Program and assist in internal reporting.
- Compliance: Accurately and timely complete and submit required DPH and internal forms for all prevention and screening services.
- Prevention and Screening Kits: Create prevention and screening kits and organize supplies.
- Crisis Intervention: Provide crisis interventions and make appropriate referrals.
- MA DPH Trainings: Attend all required MA DPH trainings.
- Provides NARCAN training and education. Creates education packets and folders for community events, with updated information and fact sheets.
- Hours of Employment: The hours of employment will be on Tuesday and Thursdays from 9 am to 5 pm with a 30-minute Lunch Break. (7.5 hours per day for a total of 15 hours per week). There may an opportunity to expand these hours.
- Perform other duties and activities as assigned.
A Harm Reduction Specialist works under direct supervision from the Program Manager. An employee holding this job is not responsible for directly supervising others.
ASGCC is an equal opportunity employer. A core value of the organization is our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome all qualified individuals to apply regardless of race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age and/or other factors that define who you are.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $23.00 per hour