Job Posting: Harm Reduction Specialist
If you want to work in an organization that makes a difference in people’s lives, come join us at the AIDS Support Group of Cape Cod (ASGCC) as a Harm Reduction Specialist.
ASGCC’s mission is to save lives through prevention, education, and life sustaining services that address public health crises to build healthy communities across the Cape and the Islands. The Harm Reduction Specialist, reporting directly to the Program Manager: Prevention & Screening, plays a key role in delivering on our mission.
ASGCC is seeking a motivated and energetic person to fill the position of Harm Reduction Specialist at our Upper Cape/Falmouth location with some occasional work in our Provincetown, Hyannis, and Martha’s Vineyard locations. This is a full-time, 37.5 hours per week position working both traditional and non-traditional hours (e.g., weekend hours during summer testing events). Primary job responsibilities include conducting direct harm reduction counseling and HIV/HCV/STI screening sessions (including phlebotomy), providing referrals to services, and connecting participants to care. Other duties include: Narcan training, syringe access programming, data collection and administrative duties as assigned.
The Harm Reduction Specialist’s job responsibilities include:
- Direct Services: Provide direct services using the harm reduction approach to participants, including:
- Harm reduction education
- Syringe access and disposal
- PrEP and PEP assessments
- Opioid overdose education and NARCAN training
- HIV/HCV/STI screening
- Risk reduction counseling
- Referrals to health care, behavioral health care, recovery resources, social services, etc.
- Lab Technician Services: Provide lab technician services including:
- Phlebotomy based blood specimen collection
- Blood, urine, and extra-genital specimen processing, packaging, and shipping
- Accurate and timely completion and processing of related documentation and requisition submission
- Crisis Intervention: Provide crisis interventions and make appropriate referrals.
- Data Collection and Reporting: Collect data for ASGCC’s Prevention and Screening Program and assist in reporting.
- Compliance: Accurately complete and submit required DPH and internal forms to the Program Manager, Prevention & Screening Services, and meeting deadlines for same.
- Community Outreach: Perform outreach activities, including posting and handing out agency fliers in the communities served, inform the community of services available and, when applicable, triage connecting community members to the agency’s services.
- Mobile Outreach Van Services: Provides all harm reduction services, including sexual health and overdose prevention education, HIV/STI screenings, PrEP services, syringe access and disposal, risk reduction counseling, and referrals for support out of the mobile outreach van in multiple Cape Cod communities.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required
- Phlebotomy certification and knowledge required
- Basic understanding of, and belief in, the principles and practices of harm reduction
- MA driver’s license and ability to travel regionally when needed
- This is a full-time position working both traditional and non-traditional hours (e.g., weekend hours during summer testing events), with travel between agency sites on an as-needed basis.
- Must be able to establish and maintain interpersonal relationships while maintaining professional boundaries and develop constructive and collaborative working relationships with others and maintain them over time. Must be able to connect with individuals and be nonjudgmental.
- When in communities served (Cape Cod), must maintain confidentiality, and both professional and ethical boundaries.
- Sound ability to work with the LGBTQ community and people who inject drugs in an empathetic, comfortable, and non-judgmental manner
- Fundamental demonstrated ability to work within an organizational structure
- Strong affinity for teamwork and ability to take direction
- Sound demonstrated ability to be well-organized
- Fundamental communication skills
- Fundamental computer skills, including MS office, Google Drive, web searches, and e-mail
- Experience working in health or human services
- Experience in training or teaching and mentoring
- Knowledge of HIV/HCV/STIs and related issues
- Knowledge of the concepts of addiction and recovery
What We Offer:
- Competitive pay and benefits, including 401(k) retirement savings plan, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, and paid time off
- An opportunity to work in an organization that makes a difference in the lives of the people we serve
- An opportunity to work with colleagues who are dedicated to the mission of our organization
ASGCC is an equal opportunity employer. A core value of our organization is our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome all qualified individuals inclusive of race, ethnicity, gender identity, se